“911. what is your emergency?”

“i have a truck on fire.”

that’s the call joe placed saturday night after he and a friend from kiwanis arrived at the house with two vehicles full of boxes from the apartment and our storage unit.

joe was driving our friend’s truck and, after taking a load inside each, they noticed smoke rising from the hood. our friend lifted the hood just a little and there was a fire roaring inside. joe called 911 while i went door-to-door looking for anyone with a fire extinguisher. luckily, our next-door neighbor had one, and we were able to put the fire out before the fire department arrived, which cut down the damage.

after the firefighters sprayed the truck thoroughly to put out any hot spots or sparks, we surveyed it and found that the fire only hit the alternator, which is what caused it. apparantly, two wires that weren’t supposed to cross did, and that’s what started the fire.


joe said he started smelling the smoke from the truck when he was about halfway home. it’s a good thing the fire didn’t start until he got home. if he had been caught on the side of the road with it, it could have been really bad and the truck could have been damaged a lot more.

on sunday, we had our families over for a cookout to celebrate our buying a house. joe, his dad and dave, his brother-in-law, had quite a time with our grill. apparantly, our cheapo grill wasn’t exactly made correctly, and the studs that hold the rack up were crooked, which caused the rack to fall in when food was put on it. they had put the grill right up next to the house, which worried me when they just about caused the weekend’s *second* fire!



what can i say? we like to do things with a bang! joe’s mom, sister and i thought it was hilarious. we had a lot of fun that day.
joe asked me to send his dad pictures of the fire. my response: “which fire?” hehe.

Advertisements

9 Comments »

  1. 1
    Joe Says:

    Yeah, well, the food was good! ๐Ÿ˜›

  2. 2
    Sara Says:

    What a weekend! Atleast you will never forget how you began your life at your first house – with a BANG – literally!! The food does look yummy!!

  3. 3
    Felicia Says:

    The Hood! The Hood! The Hood is on fire! We don’t need no…..ok.. lol new lyrics for a cheesy song. I am glad no one got hurt. You’re right; it could have been a lot worse. And as for the BBQ. You guys sure know how to break in a house! HAHA Congrats!

  4. 4
    cady Says:

    yes, yes, we sure do know how to announce ourselves to the neighbors…with flashing lights and sirens!! actually, there were no sirens. i was disappointed by that. ๐Ÿ™‚

  5. 5
    Laura Says:

    I’m glad your people and things were okay! Sounds fun grilling out!

  6. 6
    Laurel Says:

    If only the truck fire and the cookout could have occurred at the same time… no need for a fire extinguisher then!

  7. 7
    k Says:

    all your neighbors are probably groaning, thinking who just invaded our neighborhood ๐Ÿ™‚

    i can’t wait to see pictures of the house!

  8. 8

    Yikes! It did amuse me thinking at first about the truck on fire, then seeing REAL fire in the bottom pictures. Hee.

    Thank goodness everyone is okay! ๐Ÿ˜€

  9. 9
    Jen Says:

    Wow glad that Joe and everyone is okay from the truck fire. and mmmmm I can smell that bbq from here! haha


RSS Feed for this entry

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: